BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

April 10, 2009

Writings on the wall

As I was typing up a letter to give to my church, it has come to my attention that my writing style might be a bit on the different side.

 

Going to college for Journalism has perhaps skewed my writing style and prompts me to say things in a certain way.

 

I wanted to make sure the letter I sent was efficient and got the point across to the people who would be reading it. When my mother reviewed it, she had a lot to say.

 

My word choices were inappropriate, repetitive and non- realistic. She also told me I needed to remember who might be reading the letter; ordinary people that usually don’t talk or read the way that I write??

 

After reading the letter again and again I realized she may be right and changed some things around. It was also brought to my attention that I was revieling too much information and my sentences need to be vaguer.

 

Using big words and extravagant adjectives has become a part of my everyday verbage and I will not apologize for it.

 

It is clear that I do need to start being more versatile with my writing. You can not write a business letter and a news story in the same format…. Just doesn’t work.

 

My readers like my writing style… right? Let me know if you have any suggestions or just down right hate the way things are said.

 

When I am writing for Vogue someday you’ll be sorry.

1 comments:

Eden said...

That is really interesting...how you have to change your writing style, depending on what type of thing you're writing, and to whom.

I personally really like your writing style, from what I've seen on your blog. :) Would you say that this is your default style? Like, this is the way you would write if you could write anyway you wanted?